I grew up eating this salad regularly and yet, I’m still not sick of it. It’s honestly my favorite salad for multiple reasons, it’s yummy, healthy, has great benefits, it’s refreshing and it reminds me of home. My sweet and adorable mom would make this for my sister and I all the time when we were youngsters. I left LA for the weekend to visit my friends and family in Reno and thought it would be fun to make this salad with my mom today and share it with you!
This is my first recipe blog post guys! When I make food, I usually just eyeball it… what can I say? I like to live life on the edge! Don’t worry though, I’m a pro eyeballer, it comes out yummy most of the time so you’re in good hands! I’ll be measuring things out from this point on and testing it out (of course) so you can give these recipes a go too so let’s get to it!
PERSIAN SALAD WITH A TWIST
Serves: Around 4-6 side dishes or 2 meals (makes about 4 cups ) I usually like to eat the salad as a meal for lunch instead of a side dish, but you do what ever you want and adjust it the ingredients to your liking too.
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 English cucumber or 4 small Persian cucumbers (I used 4 small Persian cucumbers from Trader Joes) , small diced
- 3 medium sided tomatoes, (use your favorite tomato, I used Roma tomatoes today), small diced
- Half a medium sized onion (use whatever onion you like such as red or yellow onions; I used yellow onions today), small diced
- 2 regular sided avocados (this one’s optional and is my own personal twist to the salad since I love me some avocado!), small diced
- 3 TBSP chopped cilantro
- ¼ TSP salt
- ¼ TSP black pepper
- 3 TBSP squeezed lime juice (about one medium lime)
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- Add the diced cucumbers, tomatoes, onion and avocado into a medium sized bowl.
- Add the chopped cilantro into the bowl
- In a smaller bowl mix the dressing ingredients together
- Drizzle on the dressing to the salad ingredients. Mix it all up so the dressing is evenly distributed and there you have it baby!
- Cucumbers: are high in nutrients, contains antioxidants, promotes hydration, helps with weigh loss
- Tomatoes: are a great source of vitamins, improves digestive health, boosts skin health, tomato with olive oil creates food synergy with boosts benefits!
- Onions: are rich in antioxidants, support healthy digestion, onion with tomato also creates food synergy- the benefits of eating them together outweigh eating them separately.
- Avocado: contain even more potassium than bananas, has heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, loaded with fiber and antioxidants
- Cilantro: helps with bloating, aids digestion, prevents nausea, lowers anxiety and improves sleep
- Lime: good source of antioxidants, promotes healthy skin, increases iron absorption
- Olive Oil: rich in healthy monounsaturated fats, contains a ton of antioxidants, can detoxify your body, soothe your stomach, and even aid weight loss
Kay I think we can all agree that this recipe is SUPER easy and has a TON of amazing benefits! Give it a shot and let me know what you think! Got any pro tips or suggestions for making this recipe even better? Share below! 🙂